United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains an oral history transcript of Staff Sergeant Charles Diedling, a flight engineer on a B-24 with the 460th Bomb Group at Spinazola, Italy. Charles Diedling discusses his training as a flight engineer and waist gunner for the B-24 at Keesler AFB, Mississippi and Loredo AFB, Texas. In June of 1944, he was assigned to the 460th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force in Spinazola, Italy. Diedling was shot down over Germany becoming a prisoner of war.
This collection pertains to First Lieutenant Elwood Harry Fredrickson who served as a bombardier in the 743rd Bomb Squadron, 455th Bomb Group. The collection contains flight records, textbooks and notes from flight school, assignments from flight school, various documents regarding Fredrickson’s postings, personnel lists, volumes one and two of the 455th Bomb Group Journal, booklets on aviation and cadet life, various receipts, certificates and photographs.
This oral history interview transcript relates to George Logue, an aerial gunner armament specialist on a B-24 assigned to the 15th Air Force. Logue discusses his bombing missions over Europe, being shot down, life as a prisoner of war, and his brief service with the British 5th Army.
This collection includes photographs and documents pertaining to aerial operations over Europe during World War II. Lt. Herman Simler flew over 30 bombing missions over Europe during his service. The squadrons specified in this collection are the 8th Army Air Force, the 15th Army Air Force, and the 716th-719th bomber squadrons.
Alan May served as a gunner on a B-24 Bomber with the 451st Bomb Group during World War II in Italy and was shot down during a mission to Ploesti, Romania, and became a POW. May was awarded the Purple Heart, Air Medals, 2 Presidential Unit Citations, and the Distinguished Flying Cross. Included in this collection is a footnoted manuscript diary of missions.
Technical Sergeant Seth A. McKinney served as a flight engineer and a gunner on a B-24 Liberator stationed at Cerignola, Italy. He completed over 40 missions as a part of the 767th Bombardment Squadron, 461st Bombardment Group of the 15th Air Force. This collection includes photographs, documents, and artifacts.
- World War, 1939-1945 6
- B-24 (Bomber) 5
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life 4
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American 4
- World War, 1939-1945--Austria 4
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany 4
- Germany--History--1933-1945 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American 3
- Bombardment--Germany 2
- Bombing, Aerial 2
- Bombing, Aerial--Germany 2
- Prisoners of war 2
- Prisoners of war--Austria 2
- Prisoners of war--United States 2
- United States--Armed Forces--Uniforms 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bomb Group, 449th 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Medals, badges, decorations, etc 2
- United States. Army--History 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American--Personal narratives 2 + ∧ less