Edna Upham papers
Scope and Contents
This collection includes a manuscript description of the 161st Station Hospital, personal photographs, and other small paper ephemera related to Edna Upham who served as a U.S. Army nurse during World War II in the US American Theater with the 161st station hospital.
- Created: 1942-1995
- Other: Majority of material found in 1943-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 11/14/1997
- Other: Date accessioned: 2016-12-22
- Upham, Edna (1919 - 2010) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Edna Balaniz Upham was born in Harrison, New Jersey on October 15, 1919. Prior to the War, Upham graduated from the Nursing School at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.
Upham was inducted July 21, 1941, in Fort Dix, NJ and served with the 161st Station Hospital in the American Theater. Upham traveled to New Guinea (1943); Lyte, Philippines (1944); and Yokohama, Japan (1945). She took care of wounded American and Japanese prisoners of war. On July 3, 1945, she met her husband Earl Upham. In the same year, she was discharged as first lieutenant. On February 21, 2010, Edna Upham passed away in Tuscon, Arizona.
.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- United States. Army Nurse Corps
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--New Guinea Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Ocean Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Propaganda Subject Source: Lcnaf
- World War, 1939-1945--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edna Upham papers
- Olivia Foley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note