Olin Norwood Collection
Scope and Contents
The Olin Norwood collection consists chiefly of holograph French documents and correspondence, but there are also a variety of other materials, such as British, American, German and Belgian holograph, typed and printed correspondence and historical materials, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, pictures, and other materials. The materials in this collection cover topics such as the American Civil War and World War II, military issues such as the Battle of Kings Mountain or the bombardment of cities. Other materials discuss searching and seizing foreign vessels, people fleeing their country, slavery and the sale of slaves in areas such as South Carolina, and the collection also contains materials on poets and there is a picture from the world premiere of Gone with the wind.
Many important figures in history are mentioned in the materials of this collection. Some of these people are: William Croswell, Henry Howe, Dwight D. Eisenhower, George Cockburn, Frederick Tennyson, Gideon Ernst, Louis XVIII, Jean Francois Marmontel and Napoleon Bonaparte. As well, the collection contains a discussion of source material on the history of the Confederate States, and other research by Olin Norwood.
Research papers originally part of MSS 79-9.. Microfilm: Film 9602
- Creation: 1621-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 03/28/1956
- Norwood, Olin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast, or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Olin Norwood
Processed June 1968.
- Confederate States of America (Organization)
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969 (Person)
- Tennyson, Frederick 1807-1898 (Person)
- Croswell, William (Person)
- Howe, Henry (Person)
- Cokburne, George, 1729-1799 (Person)
- Louis XVIII, King of France, 1755-1824. (Person)
- Marmontel, Jean-François, 1723-1799 (Person)
- Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821 (Person)
- Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma and Piacenza, 1679-1731 (Person)
- Malte-Brun, Conrad, 1775-1826 (Person)
- Beauvoir, Roger de, 1806-1866 (Person)
- Necker de Saussure, Albertine-Adrienne, 1766-1841 (Person)
- Noailles, Louis, duc de, 1713-1793 (Person)
- Louis IV, King of France, 921-954 (Person)
- Montmorency, Mathieu de, 1767-1826 (Person)
- Paganel, Pierre, 1745-1826 (Person)
- Olin Norwood Collection
- Anna McCormick
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note