John E. Schmidt, Jr. papers
Scope and Contents
32 page interview covering John E. Schmidt's life from birth and early childhood to his military career and life on base in the Panama Canal Zone. The vast majority of the interview concerns life in the Canal Zone from leisure activities to medical matters.
- Created: 1931 - 1951
- Other: Majority of material found in 1931-1951
- Other: Date acquired: 06/08/1999
- Schmidt, John E. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John E. Schmidt was born in 1931 and grew up in the Panama Canal Zone. He moved to Panama in 1935 after his father got a job with the U.S. Army Signal Corps in 1934. He worked with the U.S. Navy briefly before joining the U.S. Air Force in 1951. In the military he was a part of multiple units including the 1001st Air Bombardment Wing and 3550th Combat Crew Training Wing, and briefly deployed to Vietnam as a part of MACV-J-2 Headquarters. He held a position on the faculty of the Air Force Academy for a total of nine years. He earned the Bronze Star and multiple commendations.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
John E. Schmidt Jr.
Method of Acquisition
Revised 2/20/2017. Entered 2/16/2017.
- Panama Canal. Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Air Force
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Army--Military life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John E. Schmidt, Jr. papers
- Scott Sinisi
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note