Florida State University Senior Class Gift Files
Scope and Contents
The FSU Senior Class Gift Files include articles, correspondence, lists, pamphlets, photographs, and press releases documenting the history of annual and 50th anniversary gifts given by its senior classes. There is much information about the 1994 Senior Class Gift of a clock for the University Center's Tower, the Westcott Brick Project, and the Louise Richardson Memorial Fountain Project, and a reproduction of a panoramic photo, with negatives, of the Class of 1912.
- created: 1912-2003
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
Class gifts have been a senior class tradition at Florida State University (FSU) since 1910, when the institution was the Florida State College for Women (FSCW). Examples of these gifts include marble pedestals, the sun dial in front of Bryan Hall, and the bronze doors of the Westcott Building.
The Class of 1910 gave two bas-reliefs for the walls of the browsing room in the FSCW Library that was located in Dodd Hall. They are copies of Donatello's "Dancing Boys" and Luca della Robia's "Singing Boys." Other gifts for the browsing room were donated by the Classes of 1926, 1929, and 1932. Money left by the Class of 1926 was used to buy books. Donations from the other classes helped buy furniture for the browsing room.
The first loan fund was set up by the Class of 1919, and was managed by the Alumni Association. This was the beginning of the General Alumni Loan Fund. Donations from the Classes of 1925, 1926, 1928, and 1937 were added to this general fund for the Association to administer. The Class of 1945 set up a separate scholarship. the Edward Conradi Memorial Scholarship Fund, named after FSCW's president from 1909 to 1941. The original loan fund contained $861.99.
Twelve classes contributed toward the completion of the Rowena Longmire Building, which housed the university's alumni offices for many years. The 1919-1924 and 1937 classes helped pay for its construction. Furnishings were bought by the classes of 1930, 1938-1940. The Class of 1941 bought the rug in the bulding's lounge, and the building was completed in 1937. The heavy bronze doors at the entrance to the Westcott Building were a gift from the 1925, 1927, and 1931 classes. The fountain in the center of the circle in front of Westctott was presented bt the classes of 1915 and 1917. The arch, opposite the fountain, was erected with funds left by the classes of 1916 and 1918. Classes of 1933 and 1935 purchased the gates at the West Jefferson Street entrance to the campus.
During World War II, the 1942 and 1943 class gifts reflected the spirit of the period. The purchase of a Series F War Bond with $700 maturity value was left to the FSCW by the Class of 1942, and in 1943 the senior class bought a Series F War Bond with $800 maturity value. Money left by the classes of 1944 and 1946 was used for constructing an open-air theater. When FSCW became the Florida State University in 1947, the senior class that year started a fund for the construction of a cooperative book store. The classes of 1948 and 1949 added to the fund. The Class of 1950 left more than $800, which was used toward the construction of the ticket offices for the new Doak S. Campbell Stadium.
In the late 20th Century, evidence of senior class generosity was reflected in the purchase of a variety of different gifts. The Class of 1962 purchased two grand pianos for the new student union. $16,000 was raised by the Class of 1994 for the University Center's Tower Clock. The Class of 1996 initiated a campaign for seniors to purchase a personalized brick for $100.00 or more to preserve the history and beauty of the Westcott Building and the FSU campus. The Classes of 1998 and 1999 jointly purchased a six foot, eight inch stained glass window, created by artist Nancy Gutkin O'Neil for the Student Life Building.
In addition, 50th Anniversary Gifts have been purchased by these classes. These have included brass torches on the fireplace mantle in the Longmire Building's Beth Moor Lounge (Class of 1919), contributions to the Louise Richardson Memorial (Shores Building) Project (Classes of 1927, 1928, and 1931), an endowed scholarship for undergraduates (Class of 1941), contributions to the "Heritage Tower" (Classes of 1947 and 1948), and an English garden at the new Alumni Center (Class of 1952
Language of Materials
Materials are arranged by record type and chronologically within each record type.
Method of Acquisition
Given by Linda Henning, FSU Alumni Association
Processed by Burt Altman in November 2008.
Genre / Form
- Advertising fliers
- College seniors
- Florida State University--Anniversaries, etc.
- Florida State University--Buildings
- Florida State University--Students
- Florida State University Senior Class Gift Files
- Burt Altman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note