Skip to main content

Adams Brothers Store Ledger

 Collection — Container: Oversize
Identifier: MSS 2006-015

Scope and Contents

While the Adams Brothers Store Ledger covers only a brief period of the existence of this business (1898-1899), it documents the operations of a late 19th and early 20th Century mercantile store in north Florida. It is significant to researchers studying North Florida's economic history during this period.

Dates

  • Created: 1898-1899

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright holder for this collection: Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries. All requests to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean of Libraries for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply pemrission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Adams Brothers Store was started by Robert Watkins Adams in White Springs (FL) around 1865. According to David W. Hartman and David Coles' Biographical Roster of Florida's Confederate and Union Soldiers, Adams was an officer in the Confederate army who was wounded and taken captive at the Battle of Gettysburg. After a prisoner exchange and a period of hospitalization, he resigned from military service. Following the end of the Civil War, he farmed for a few years and then opened a general merchandise store in White Springs. According to Rowland H. Rerick's Memoirs of Florida, he successfully managed this business until his death on August 15, 1886.

After Adams died, his widow Sophia Jane Adams and their sons Francis and Nathaniel renovated the building. Renovation was completed in 1892. In 1905, the store became an incorporated family business. Farmers brought their cotton in wagons to be weighed on the cotton scale behind the store, and cash was paid or credit was then entered in the mercantile records to purchase goods. The Adams Brothers Store is one of Florida's oldest wooden-framed mercantile stores, and it is still in its original location.

Extent

1 boxes

1.40 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Method of Acquisition

The Adams Brothers Store Ledger was purchased through Florida State College for Women Class of 1944 Florida History Endowment.

Processing Information

Processed by Burt Altman in September 2006.
Title
Adams Brothers Store Ledger
Author
Burt Altman
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US
850-644-3271