Florida State University Summer Institutes and Workshops
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of materials about summer institutes, workshops and programs, for teachers, students and their families at Florida State University. Programs for students include Arts and Crafts camp, Boy's State, Girl's State, cheerleaders clinic, 4-H club, mathematics camp, music camp, the Press Institute for High School Students, science camp, state science fair, summer school, scholarships, and twirling camp. Programs for teachers and parents include the Association for Childhood Education, coaches clinic, programs in school administration and supervision, counseling and guidance training, crafts workshops for teachers, an industrial nurses workshop, programs about mental health and the gifted child, the National Science Foundation Institute, PTA workshops, personnel appraisal and development, Psychiatric Nursing Conference, school lunch personnel training, Southern College and Research Library workshop, Southern School Press Institute, Speech Institute, summer institues for teachers of biology, science and math, workshops on teaching migrant children, vocational and adult education programs, and workshops on cancer education and office machines. The collection also contains a variety of photographs of these programs and workshops.
- Created: 1952-1963
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Florida State University, one of the largest and oldest of the nine institutions of higher learning in the State University System of Florida, had its beginning in 1851 when the Florida Legislature established two seminaries. In February 1857, the institution began offering postsecondary instruction to male students at the Seminar West of the Suwannee River. The following year it became coeducational when it merged with the Tallahasse Female Academy. By 1897 the institution had evolved into the first liberal arts college in the state, and in 1901 it became Florida State College, a four year institution. In 1905 the University of Florida was established and designated a men's school, and the Florida State College became a women's school calledthe Florida Female College. In 1909 the name of the college was changed to Florida State College for Women. In 1947, the Florida State College for Women was returned to coeducational status and renamed The Florida State University. By the 1980s, the University was recognized as a major research institute with over 370 buildings on nearly 1200 acres including the main campus of 346 acres in Tallahassee.
Note written by Florida State University General Bulletin, 1995-1997
Language of Materials
Processed November 1990.
- Florida State University History Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music camps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Summer Institutes and Workshops
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US