Historical Newspaper Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection's two major groupings of papers are Antebellum and Civil War newspapers in OS Box 1 and Gilded Age, Progressive, and 20th century newspapers in OS Box 2. The majority of the papers are from the southern states in the United States. OS Box 3 is photostat copies of its contents.
Portions of this collection have been digitized can be found online in the FSU Digital Library.
- Created: 1792-1945
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Language of Materials
The container lists do not reflect the organization of the newspapers in the boxes. The container lists are done alphabetically.
Source of Acquisition
Collection was created when two boxes were found to not be processed though sorted into categories: Antebellum and Civil War Newspapers and Reconstruction, Gilded Age, and Early 20the Century Newspapers. These often also had unique Newspaper manuscript numbers but no information about how or when they were acquired. Two items that were housed with the Moore Collection OS Box 1 but were not a part of that collection were also moved into this collection at the time of re-housing to avoid confusion with the Moore Collection. OS Box 3 was processed in pieces from February-May 1965 and covers a variety of accessions. Items in drawer 1 of Map Case 1 was added when it was determined those were collection-less.
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Depression and the New Deal Years in Florida, 1930-1941 Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--1865-1921 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War I, 1914-1918--Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Historical Newspaper Collection
- Krystal Thomas
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note