John Rodman letter regarding Spanish Land Grants
Scope and Contents
Letter from John Rodman to Joseph Reed Ingersoll on behalf of a Mr. Tibball seeking to place a claim before Congress to obtain indemnification for losses sustained by him, in consequence of his being prevented from cutting timber on land granted to him by the Spanish government, before his grant should be confirmed by the U. S. Government.
Other names mentioned are: Mr. Douglas, the District Attorney; Dr. Peck; Mr. Aken, Land Agent; Mr. Rawls; Judge Story; the Duke of Alagon, the Court of Punnsoritis, and Don Pedro de Vargas.
- Other: Majority of material found in February 22, 1837
- Other: Date acquired: 11/01/1965
- Rodman, John (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John Rodman, originally from New York, was appointed by Andrew Jackson as collector of customs at St. Augustine. (Florida Historical Quarterly, XXXII. p. 9)
J.R. Ingersoll was a lawyer born in Philadelphia. In 1835 he was elected to the 24th Congress as a Whig, and served two years. He was also elected a representative of the 27th Congress, and being twice re-elected, served from 1841-1846. (The National Cyclopedia of American Biography, Vol. VIII. pp. 530-531).
1.00 items (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Argosy Book Stores, Inc.
Processed November 1965.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Ingersoll, Joseph R. (Joseph Reed), 1886-1868
- Land grants--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rodman, John--Correspondence
- Saint Augustine (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Rodman letter regarding Spanish Land Grants
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note