St. Augustine papers: negro passes and permits
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of permits to sell spirituous and other liquors, permits issued to a variety of people to pass and repass on specific dates or for specific periods of time, each signed by the Mayor, permits for balls and dances, permits to reside, city ordinances, and other related materials.
The party permits appear to be issued by persons related to or superior to the person named in the permit, allowing them to have a party or ball on a specified date and time. "Bella has my permission to have a party tonight." "My boy Jake has permission to have a ball tonight." The majority of the collection consists of permits to reside. These are primarily issued to slaves, servants and free persons of color. Slave-owners are specified in each document, along with the slave's name, and is signed by a consenting party. The city ordinances of St. Augustine regard people of color, the St. Augustine police, and housing for slaves and free persons of color.
- Created: 1830-1861
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Duke Kintz
Processed October 1978.
Re-processed on 8/7/2019.
- Anderson, Bella
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Auditors' reports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baya, J. (Joseph)
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Liquors Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Augustine papers: negro passes and permits
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note