Dime Novels Collection
Identifier: MSS 2015-003
Scope and Contents
This collection contains dime novels from the late nineteenth to early twentieth centuries. These were cheap, mass-market fiction works sold in five, ten, and twenty cent formats that covered themes of adventure, crime, technology, the American Revolution, pirates, frontier life, the Wild West, and relations with Native Americans. This collection contains issues from popular dime novel publishers, including Frank Tousey, the Winner Library Co., Street and Smith, the George Marsh Company, Beadle and Adams, Norman L. Munro, the Arthur Westbrook Company, and R. M. de Witt. Because of their ephemeral nature, many dime novel publications have not survived. This collection offers a valuable look at American popular fiction from the turn of the twentieth century.
- Created: 1861-1942
- Other: Majority of material found in 1873-1927
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Use of this collection is provided for non-commercial, personal, educational, and research use only. All other use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly reproductions, redistribution, publication, websites, exhibitions, broadcasts, or other transmission, whether by electronic means or otherwise, without prior written permission of the copyright holder is strictly prohibited. For information about the copyright and reproduction rights for this item, please contact Special Collections & Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida.
4.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Dime novels are arranged in folders in Boxes 1-6 according to title. Thick format novels are arranged as items in Boxes 7-10.
Collection was discovered in the stacks with no discovery avenues. Re-housed and finding aid created 05/2015
- Detective and mystery fiction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dime novels Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dime novels, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dime novels--19th century--Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dime novels--20th century--Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Westerns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dime Novels Collection
- Katherine Hoarn
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note