College of Nursing
Scope and Contents
The College of Nursing Collection consists of papers, ephemera, and photographs that document the history and activities of Florida State University’s College of Nursing from its development in 1948 through 2014. The collection includes records from the deans, the graduate nursing program, various faculty committees, student organizations (Student Nurses Association and Sigma Theta Tau), and the Legacy Project, as well as materials created for special events such as pinning and graduation ceremonies, homecoming events, conferences, and presentations.
A collection of historical nursing artifacts, including medical equipment, student uniforms, plaques, and student and faculty paraphernalia is housed separately at the College of Nursing. Contact University Archivists for more information.
- created: 1948-2020
- Other: Date acquired: 12/05/2014
- Florida State University, College of Nursing (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers. Some folders are restricted from patron use because they contain sensitive information about individuals; these folders are indicated in the container list. Please contact University Archivists for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply to works in this collection. Re-use or copying beyond Fair Use may require permission from the rights-holder. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
In early 1950, Florida’s Board of Control (the predecessor of the Board of Regents) approved the establishment of a School of Nursing at Florida State University and appointed Vivian M Duxbury as the first Dean of the School. By September, the School of Nursing admitted its first students: a group of twenty-five young women. FSU’s SON was only the second collegiate school of nursing to be set up in Florida, with the first at FAMU.
In 1952, the School of Nursing awarded its first degrees to three women students. In the fall, faculty members Agnes Salisbury and Karleen Gillies began teaching the first extension courses in Jacksonville and Miami, respectively. In 1958, the SON became the only nursing school in Florida accredited by the National League for Nursing and was one of less than 100 in the nation.
At first, there was no particular building reserved for the nursing program; offices and classes were held in various buildings around campus. The School of Nursing moved into its new building, Vivian M Duxbury Hall, in the fall of 1975. The most recent milestone in the nursing program’s history is the change of its name from “School” to “College” in the summer of 2006.
Note written by Monica Toth
23.50 Linear Feet
12 Linear Feet (accrual, HUA2022-028)
Language of Materials
Mostly alphabetical, some chronological. Arragement of each box is noted in sub-series descriptions.
Until 2014, the College of Nursing Legacy Project maintained and stored the materials.
Source of Acquisition
Florida State University, College of Nursing
Method of Acquisition
- Henning, Emilie D (Person)
- Martin, Shirley A (Person)
- Duxbury, Vivian (Person)
- Florida State University. College of Nursing (Organization)
- Florida State University Panama City Campus (Organization)
- Student Nurses Association (Organization)
- Sigma Theta Tau (Organization)
- Plowfield, Lisa A (Person)
- Mason, Katherine P (Person)
- Singer, Evelyn T. (Person)
- College of Nursing Collection
- Monica Toth
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note