Lawrence E. Vaughan collection
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Lawrence E. Vaughan who served with the 2811 Engineers Pipeline District Company of the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II in the Pacific Theater. This collection includes letters, journal entries, and a manuscript memoir, and documents.
- Created: 1942-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 12/10/2007
- Vaughan, Lawrence E., 1922-2012 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Lawrence E. Vaughan was born on August 4, 1922 in Brunswick, NE. He attended Lincoln Public Schools and graduated in 1940 from Lincoln High School. During World War II, he served as a member of the 2811 Engineers Pipeline District Company of the Army Corps of Engineers. He was stationed in the Pacific Theater from February 1945 to December 1945. Prior to going overseas, he partook in an A.S.T.P program in the states at the University of Alabama and Mississippi State College. After being shipped out, he was first stationed in the Philippine Islands where he was a dispatcher, watching over pipelines transporting gas and oil from Manila to Clark Field in Northern Luzon. In October 1945, he was shipped to Japan as part of the American occupation force. In December 1945, he was shipped back to the states. After the war, he taught at secondary level in various public schools; assistant, associate and full Professor of Education, Nebraska Wesleyan University. Vaughan was also a member Theta Chi Fraternity, Kappa Delta Pi, Phi Delta Kappa, Pi Gamma Mu; Past President, Capital City Kiwanis Club, Kiwanis Division 16, Lt. Governor and Governor Nebraska Iowa District Kiwanis International, American Legion Post #3, St Mark's United Methodist Church, member, Tom Osborne's Teammates; Life Member National Education Association and Kiwanis International, VFW Post 7722. Past president Nebraska School Counselors and Lincoln Capital City Education Association, Nebraska School Counselors, Lincoln Capital City Education Association; member Nebraska School Masters Club, NWU Sunflower Club and Booster Club. Member and soloist in Lincoln Senior Chorus. Trustee Lincoln Public Schools Foundation. Vaughan passed away on May 15, 2012 and is buried along side of his wife Ruth in Wyuka Cemetery, Lincoln, NE.
Vaughan's letters include ones written to his parents but the majority are to his wife, Ruth. His letters depict his daily life within the Army Corps of Engineers, encounters with Filipino and Japanese civilians, his longing for his wife and son, his training within the states, discussions about his friends and family at home and at war, his overseas voyages,and souvenir hunting. Also included are a few diary entries that depict his day-to-day life, poetry to his wife, manuscripts that discuss different periods at sea as well as part of his postwar life as a member of Kiwanis International, and news articles about his late son, Victor Vaughan.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Lawrence Vaughan
Accession assigned 12-10-07.
- Alpha Gamma Delta
- American Red Cross
- Army Specialized Training Program (U.S.)
- Camp Claiborne (La.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Censorship-United States-History-20th Century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hirohito, Emperor of Japan, 1901-1989.
- Holy Week Subject Source: Local sources
- Japan--History--1945- Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Malaria--Philippines Subject Source: Local sources
- Mississippi State College--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mother's Day Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pipelines. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Prostitution--Philippines--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- Sad Sack Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sinatra, Frank, 1915-1998
- Souvenirs (Keepsakes)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tokyo Rose, 1916-2006.
- Tōjō, Hideki, 1884-1948.
- Troopships Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers
- United States. War Department.
- University of Alabama Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- V-E Day, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- V-mail Subject Source: Lctgm
- Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrence E. Vaughan collection
- Nicholas Austin
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note