Florida State University Curriculum Committee Records
Scope and Contents
The Florida State University (FSU) Curriculum Committee Records document the discussions of this body from its beginnings in 1931, when it was formed as the Florida State College for Women (FSCW) Curriculum Committee, through 1958. The records include agendas, memoranda, minutes, reports to the FSU Faculty Senate, and resolutions. Topics include definitions of major and minor courses; course renumbering; credit hour requirements; curriculum revision, department reorganizations; new courses and course modifications; and residence requirements, extension, and correspondence work for granting degrees at FSCW.
While it is evident that the Committee existed from 1979 to the present, the collection does not include any records for those years. Arrangement is chronological, and the collection is divided into two series: minutes and reports to the Faculty Senate.
- Created: 1931-1958
- Other: Majority of material found in 8 January 1940-18 July 1958
- Florida State University Curriculum Committee (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Florida State University (FSU) Curriculum Committee first met as the Florida State College for Women (FSCW) Curriculum Committee on January 30, 1931. It was "authorized to act on all matters pertaining to curriculum revision, interpretation, and unification." Its first chair was Dr. Kathryn Abbey (later Hanna) and the "permanent Secretary of the Committee" was the College's registrar, Simeon Doyle. The FSCW Curriculum Committee continued as the FSU Curriculum Committee after the College's transition to Florida State University in 1947.
It is not clear whether the FSU Curriculum Committee existed between 1959 and 1978, since it is not cited in the Faculty Handbook for those years. In 1979, the Committee was appointed by the Faculty Senate Steering Committee "with the advice and consent of the Senate." Its function was to "consider curricular policies and procedures at both the undergraduate and graduate levels." In 1984, according to the Faculty Handbook, the FSU Curriculum Committee consisted of nine faculty members appointed by the Faculty Senate Steering Committee, with staggered three-year terms. The 1991 Faculty Handbook noted that the Dean of the Faculties, or his or her designee, was an ex-officio member, and the Committee annually elected its chairperson from the faculty representatives. As of 2007, the composition and functions of the FSU Curriculum Committee had not changed.
1.20 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Correspondence, indexes to minutes, lists of committee members, minutes, and reports to the Florida State University Faculty Senate documenting the discussions of the Florida State College for Women and Florida State University Curriculum Committee.
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed by Burt Altman in September 2007
- Andrews, Elizabeth Gordon, 1880-1967
- Bellamy, Raymond F. (Raymond Flavius)
- Campbell, Lawrence, 1914-1998
- Carothers, Milton W., 1899-1980
- Cate, Helen
- Conradi, Edward, 1869-1944
- Cooley, Henry B. (Henry Bell), 1899-
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cotterill, R. S. (Robert Spencer), 1884-1967
- Danford, Howard G. (Howard Gorby)
- Davis, Charles S.
- DeGraff, Mark H., 1890-1957
- Dittmer, Karl O.
- Dodd, William George, 1874-1963
- Dorman, Olivia
- Doyle, S.R. (Simeon Robert), 1881-1943
- Doyle, Wilson K.
- Education Requirements and Curriculum Subject Source: Local sources
- Edwards, W.T.
- Eyman, Ralph Lee, 1885-
- Florida State College for Women
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Hanna, Katherine Trimmer Abbey, 1895-
- Heinlein, Chris P.
- Hinson, Murphy Roy
- Hoffman, Dorothy Lois, 1903-1985
- Housewright, Wiley L., 1913-2003
- Johnsen, Russell Harold, 1922-
- Kurz, Herman, 1886-1965
- Lewis, L. J. (Leonard John)
- Meeting records. Subject Source: Local sources
- Miller, R.D.
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Moore, Coyle E.
- Opperman, Ella Scoble, 1873-1969
- Randolph, Bessie C.
- Reports Subject Source: Local sources
- Rogers, Carmen
- Sandels, Margaret Rector, 1888-1973
- Seymour, Arthur Romeyn, 1872-
- Sivyer, Henrietta R.
- Stewart, Alban, 1875-
- Stickler, W. Hugh (William Hugh), 1910-1975
- Stone, Mode L. (Mode Lee), 1902-1979
- Tilton, Jennie
- Walker, Charles H.
- West, Edith Woodfin
- Florida State University Curriculum Committee Records
- Burt Altman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US