Ruby Diamond collection
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, papers, records, journals, cashbooks (or account books), scrapbooks, newspaper articles, passport, currency, manuscripts, books, songs, pictures, stamps, clippings and legal papers. This collection contains a wide variety of materials. The correspondence, papers, records, bookkeeping journals and cash books of Julius Diamond reflect the economic conditions of the time and are good examples of how merchandising business was conducted. The scrapbook, assembled by John W. Trench, contains manuscripts, Civil War letters and clippings, describing events such as the battles of Gettysburg, Bull Run and Vicksburg. There is an original holograph passport issued by Consul General at Marseilles, France, to a native of Italy, taken during the war. Newspaper clippings discuss the price of gold, burial ceremonies, and the sale of slaves. Also included are recipes, poems, songs and jokes written during and about the Civil War, as well as other historical documents not preserved elsewhere.
Of note are samples of Confederate currency and United States postage stamps from 1898.
Includes MSS 0-86; MSS 0-87; MSS 0-88; MSS 0-89; MSS 0-90; MSS 0-91; MSS 0-92; MSS 0-93; MSS 0-94; MSS 0-95; MSS 78-34; MSS 88-6
- Created: 1773-1981
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ruby Diamond
- Amnesty oath Subject Source: Local sources
- Appleyard, T. J.
- Apte, Day J.
- Apte, Robert Williams
- Bloxham, William Dunnington, 1835-1911
- Buford, Rivers H. (Rivers Henderson), 1878-1959
- Carlton, Doyle Elam, 1885-1972
- Catts, Sidney Johnston, 1863-1936
- Dueling Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida. Governor
- Gilchrist, Albert Waller, 1858-1926
- Hardee, Cary Augustus, 1876-1957
- Martin, John Wellborn, 1884-1958
- Martin, Malachi
- McRae, W. A.
- Murat family
- Pepper, Claude, 1900-1989
- Slavery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yellow fever Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ruby Diamond collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description