Bernard F. Sliger Collection
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 2003-004
Scope and Contents
The speeches and correspondence document Bernard F. Sliger's career at the Florida State University where he served as a faculty member, Executive Vice-President and President. The speeches cover topics such as Florida's economic climate, commencements, groundbreakings, and the role of higher education in the world. His correspondence, covering his Vice-Presidential, Presidential and Post-Presidential years, are to and from individuals such as Governor Bob Graham, Senator Claude Pepper, Burt Reynolds, and friends and alumni of the University. Many newspaper clippings and newsletters were sent to him and are included with the correspondence. Also included are the presidential committee files from his presidential term, divided into ad hoc and general committees. There are several smaller series that illustrate his role in the 1973 Louisiana Constitutional Convention and his work with the Academic Task Force for Review of the Florida Insurance and Tort System from 1986-1988.
Online Copies Available Select materials from this collection have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- Created: 1971-2003
- Other: Majority of material found in 1983-1991
- Sliger, Bernard F. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
1924: Born on September 30 in Chassell, Michigan. 1949: Received BA in Economics from Michigan State University. 1950: Received MA in Economics from Michigan State University. 1953: Became Professor of Economics at Louisiana State University. 1955: Received Ph.D. in Economics from Michigan State University. 1961: Appointed head of Economics Department, Louisiana State University. 1965: Appointed Vice-Chancellor and Dean of Academic Affairs of Louisiana State University. 1969: Appointed Executive Director of State of Louisiana Board of Regents. 1972: Appointed Executive Vice-President of the Florida State University and moves with family to Tallahassee, Florida. 1973: Gave "Finance in the New Constitution" lecture at the Louisiana Constitutional Convention. His talk was later published as a series by Louisiana State University. 1973: Appointed Professor of Economics at the Florida State University until 2003. 1976: Appointed Interim President of the Florida State University. 1977: Appointed President of the Florida State University. 1983: Appointed member of Board of Trustees of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, until 1985. 1986: Appointed member of Academic Task Force for Review of the Florida Insurance Tort System, until 1988. 1987: Appointed member of the NCAA Presidents' Commission, until 1991. 1991: Retired as President of the Florida State University. 1993: Appointed Interim President of the Florida State University, until January 1994.
Note written by
Note written by
13.60 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Speeches, correspondence, newspaper clippings/newsletters, calendars, and photographs from Dr. Bernard F. Sliger, President of the Florida State University from 1976-1991.
Method of Acquisition
The Bernard F. Sliger Collection was donated to the Special Collections Department, Florida State University Libraries, by Bernard F. Sliger of Tallahassee, FL, in 2003.
The collection was processed from May-June 2004 by a staff member of the Special Collections Department. Digitization will occur at a later date.
- Economics. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Higher. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Florida State University Presidents Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--Economic conditions. Subject Source: Local sources
- Higher Education in Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Insurance, Physicians' Liability Subject Source: Local sources
- Legal Torts Subject Source: Local sources
- Louisiana. Constitutional Convention (1973) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sliger, Bernard F.
- Speeches, addresses, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tort liability of insurance companies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bernard F. Sliger Collection
- Amy D. McDonald
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note