El Destino and Chemonie Plantation Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection relates to the El Destino and Chemonie plantations located a short distance from Tallahassee, Florida. These papers consist of records and documents of the executors and administrators of the estate of William B. Nuttall. The materials discuss sale of cotton and other agricultural products, conveyance of land and slaves, as well as reports and accounts related to the estate. Some papers are signed by Mary W. Savage (Nuttall), Hector W. Braden and George Noble Jones.
This collection is available digitially in DigiNole: FSU's Digitial Repository.
- Created: 1822-1859
- Other: Date acquired: 11/01/1969
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
El Destino and Chemonie plantations were established by John Nuttall, a Virginia planter, and his sons James and William B. Nuttall, and the tract of land which proved the nucleus of the estate was a grant obtained from the United States Government on January 3, 1838. More grants provided more land over time and finally included 800 acres. The project was entrusted to William who had charge of clearing the lands, building the main plantation residence and housing for overseer and slaves at El Destino. During ownership by the Nuttalls and their heirs, only housing for and overseer and slaves were constructed at Chemonie plantation. (Slaves at both plantations numbered at one period 143).
16.00 items (1 Folder)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of anonymous donor
Microfilm Copies Available
El Destino and Chemonie Plantation papers, 1822-1859. (microfilm). Film 9648. https://fsu.catalog.fcla.edu/permalink.jsp?23FS028463718
Processed February 1970.
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Leon County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Nuttall, James
- Nuttall, Mary Langhorn, 1798-1880
- Nuttall, William, 1796-approximately 1864
- Plantations--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations--Southern States Subject Source: Local sources
- Slavery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- El Destino and Chemonie Plantation Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note