Edward Conradi Collection
Scope and Contents
The Edward Conradi Papers includes articles and clippings, bills and receipts, class notebooks from Indiana University and Clark University, correspondence, legal papers, lists, manuscripts, memorabilia, minutes of meetings, news clippings, publications by Conradi and others, photographs, reports, speeches and speech notes, rules and regulations, and statistical data documenting Conradi's Florida State College for Women (FSCW) presidency from 1909-1941, including his fight with the Florida Purity League in the late 1920s. The collection includes the typed, uncorrected notes on the history of FSCW as dictated to a student typist. It was from these notes that the material for the Memoirs of Edward Conradi was written and the collection also includes the first drafts of this work with corrections as well as the final printed item itself.
In addition, there are personal papers, including correspondence from friends and family, business records, insurance, and legal papers, and Conradi family papers, consisting of memorabilia and photographs.
Select materials from this collection have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- created: 1897-1981
- Other: Majority of material found in 1924-1944
- Conradi, Edward (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
8.40 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The first two accessions (MSS 1989-005 and MSS 1996-001) of the Edward Conradi Collection were given to the Special Collections Department, Florida State University Libraries, by the FSU Media Relations Department, in 1989 and 1996. Additional materials were given in 2004 (MSS 2004-002) by Linda Henning of the FSU Alumni Affairs Office, and in 2006 (MSS 2006-011) by Martha Ekermeyer Drake, Edward Conradi's granddaughter.
The 1989, 1996, 2004, and 2006 accessions were processed by Burt Altman, staff member of the Special Collections Department. Materials that were faded or brittle, such as newsclippings, were preservation photocopied.
Contents of Box 1264 were shifted to Box 1263 during re-processing in February 2017. As of February 10, 2017, there is no Box 1264 in the collection.
- Beckham, Charlotte (Person)
- Bellamy, Raymond F. (Raymond Flavius) (Person)
- Campbell, Doak S. (Doak Sheridan), 1888-1973. (Person)
- Conradi, Edward, 1869-1944 (Person)
- Dorman, Olivia (Person)
- Doyle, S.R. (Simeon Robert), 1881-1943 (Person)
- English, Colin (Person)
- Hager, Leila Venable (Person)
- Moore, Beth (Person)
- Sandels, Margaret Rector, 1888-1973 (Person)
- Singletary, W.J (Person)
- Tatum, L.A (Person)
- Tracy, Anna May (Person)
- Florida State College for Women (Organization)
- Gray, R. A. (Robert Andrew), 1882-1975 (Person)
- Seymour, Arthur Romeyn, 1872- (Person)
- Murphree, Albert Alexander, 1870-1927 (Person)
- Breckinridge, John C. (John Cabell), 1821-1875 (Person)
- Phi Beta Kappa (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Legal documents.
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Edward Conradi Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note