Fred Elliot Papers
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 0-100
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of business records, correspondence, pictures, a scrapbook and other items of Fred C. Elliot. Subjects covered by this collection include: J. O. Wright, engineers, Everglades Drainage Project, Everglades Drainage District, Florida population, Cyril Baldwin, C. V. Scott, Florida Everglades, Florida Coast Line Canal, St. Lucie Canal, Gulf to Atlantic Waterway, A. W. Cilchrist, Lake Okeechobee, Broward County, Dade County, DeSoto County, Lee County, Monroe County, Okeechobee County, Palm Beach County, St. Lucie County, Cary A. Hardee, Okeechobee Fruit Lands Company, rainfall, E. B. Lewis & Company, Palm Beach and Everglades Railroad, drainage districts, beach conservation, American Shore and Beach Preservation Association, traffic signals, American Engineering Council, construction in navigable waters, Key Biscayne, Key Largo, Moore Have n Drainage District, Little Manatee River Project, Robert O. Vernon, Fort San Marco, Florida Engineering Society, National Society of Professional Engineers, Seaboard Air Line Railway System, theater, Hippodrome State Theater, Thomas Aquinas, Civil War in Florida, George P. Raney, Florida plantations, Florida maps, Louisiana maps, Castillo de San Marcos, Fort Matanzas, oil, Federation of Garden Clubs, Florida wildlife, Taylor County, Jefferson County, the Florida diocese and St. Johns Parish.
- Created: 1835-1962
- Other: Date acquired: 12/01/1965
- Elliot, Fred C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Fred C. Elliot (1878-1963), Chief Engineer and Secretary of the Internal Improvement Fund of the State of Florida. Mr. Elliot's public service career in Florida began in 1908 and continued until he retired on November 3, 1957. In 1911 he made a special drainage investigation for the Everglades district and had a leading role in carrying out the drainage project there and in other areas in South Florida.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. Fred Elliot
Method of Acquisition
Brought to Library by Dr. William W. Rogers, Associate Professor of History, Florida State University.
Processed July 1966.
- American Shore and Beach Preservation Association
- Canals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Everglades Drainage District (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leon County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Okeechobee Fruit Lands Company
- Okeechobee, Lake (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Water-supply--Management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fred Elliot Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description