Everglades National Park Commission Papers
Collection — Box: 145
Identifier: MSS 1971-102
Scope and Contents
The Everglades National Park Commission Papers are comprised of items dated from June to October in 1946. The first item is a four-page document entitled, "Official Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Everglades National Park Commission at the Lunsford Lodge on Windley Island, June 15, 1946." The second item is a four-page letter, dated July 19, 1946, "To the Property Owners Within the Everglades National Park Area," that gives a good history of the establishing of the park. The third item, dated July 19, 1946, is a list of names and addresses of the twenty-five "Members Appointed to the Everglades National Park Commission by Governor Millard F. Caldwell," which was prepared by Gilbert D. Leach, Managing Director. The final item is a 71-page document entitled "Minutes of the Meeting of Executive Committee Everglades National Park Commission, Jacksonville, Florida, October 21, 1946."
Also known as MSS 0-102.
Online Copy Available http://purl.flvc.org/fsu/fd/FSU_MSS_1971102_B145_F003
- Other: Date acquired: 09/07/1971
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Everglades National Park Commission first came into existence in the late 1920s under the supervision of Ernest F. Coe and other South Floridians who had begun a movement to preserve the Everglades as a national park. The U.S. and state legislatures embraced the idea and attempted to pass the legislation needed for the park, but the economic and war-time concerns of the 1930s and 40s put the project on hold for a number of years. The Commission appeared again in 1946 when, at the urging of environmentalists, Governor Millard F. Caldwell appointed 25 individuals to a new Everglades National Park Commission. It took the Commission less than a year to drum up the needed support for the park and for the state to pass the necessary legislation. In 1947, President Harry S Truman dedicated the Everglades National Park.
[Source: Brookfield, Charles M. and Oliver Griswold, "The Founding of Everglades National Park," in They All Called it Tropical: True Tales of the Romantic Everglades, Cape Sable, and the Florida Keys. Miami: Historical Association of Southern Florida, 1985.]
3.00 items (1 folder.)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Ronald Spencer Jr.
Method of Acquisition
Spencer, executive vice president of the Florida State Chamber of Commerce in Jacksonville, gave the collection for preservation purposes to Mr. Allen Morris who then turned the papers over to FSU Libraries.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed October 1971.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Directories. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Everglades National Park (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Everglades National Park Commission
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- National parks and reserves Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Everglades National Park Commission Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description