Florida State University General Faculty Records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of minutes from General Faculty meetings, recommendations of candidates for graduation, related memoranda, and faculty members' obituaries. The collection will be of interest to those researching issues of broad concern to the University in the time period covered, which includes the transition period of Florida State College for Women to the Florida State University.
- Created: 1938-1976
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
The members of the General Faculty include the President, Vice-President, Deans, Professors and other instructional staff, and those members of the Professional Staff to whom the President assigns an academic rank. The General Faculty meets in regular session in the fall of each academic year to receive the annual report of the President, and in special session called by the President either on his or her own initiative or on resolution of the Faculty Senate, or on written request of at least ten percent (prior to 1958 this requirement was fifteen members) of the members of the General Faculty.
The functions of the General Faculty are to formulate an opinion upon any subject of interest to the University and make recommendations to the appropriate body or officer for final consideration and to receive reports and announcements from officers of the University and from the Faculty Senate. Formerly (prior to 1958), the General Faculty also performed the functions of recommending to the Board of Control candidates for degrees and certificates upon recommendation of the faculties of the several major instructional units, and conferring such honors and awards of scholarship as may be provided for by faculty legislation.
As many committees as are necessary for the General Faculty to perform its functions are appointed by the President, which among other committees include the Committee on Memorials and Courtesies and the Committee on Faculty Professional Relations.
0.80 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged according to its original order, which is predominantly chronological.
Method of Acquisition
Processed in 2007 by Ginger H. Williams
- Allen, Warren Dwight, 1885-1964
- Baum, Werner A.
- Bellamy, Raymond F. (Raymond Flavius)
- Blackwell, Gordon W. (Gordon Williams), 1911-2004
- Campbell, Doak S. (Doak Sheridan), 1888-1973.
- Campbell, Laurence
- Carothers, Milton W., 1899-1980
- Chalmers, E. Laurence (Edwin Laurence), 1928-2009
- Champion, John E., 1922-2002
- Choppin, Gregory R.
- Commencement ceremonies. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Communism. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Conradi, Edward, 1869-1944
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Curtis, Morton Landers, 1921-
- Day, Harry, 1937-
- Deviney, Ezda May
- Dirac, P. A. M. (Paul Adrien Maurice), 1902-1984
- Dodd, William George, 1874-1963
- Dohnányi, Ernő, 1877-1960
- Doyle, Wilson K.
- Ehlers, Walter H.
- Florida State College for Women
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Florida State University--Academic calendar Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University--Constitution Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frieden, Earl
- Grief. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hess, Seymour L.
- Hinson, Murphy Roy
- Hogarth, Charles P.(Charles Pinckney), 1911-
- Housewright, Wiley L., 1913-2003
- Ilsley, Lucretia Little, 1906-
- Irish, Marian Doris
- Jackson State University Shootings, Jackson, Mississippi, 1970 Subject Source: Local sources
- Jarrell, Hampton M. (Hampton McNeely), 1904-1980
- Jordan, Weymouth Tyree, 1912-
- Kasha, Michael A. 1920-
- Kellum, John Gabriel
- Kent State Shootings, Kent, Ohio, 1970 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- King, F. J., 1927-
- Kuersteiner, Karl Otto, 1901-1973
- Kurz, Herman, 1886-1965
- Lawton, Robert O.
- Leap, William Lester, 1901-1960
- Liddell, Anna Forbes, 1891-1979
- Longmire, Rowena
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Moore, Coyle E.
- Mulliken, Robert Sanderson
- Nimkoff, Meyer Francis, 1904-
- Obituaries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oglesby, Roscoe Ralph, 1905-
- Opperman, Ella Scoble, 1873-1969
- Parsons, Malcolm B.
- Pugh, Griffith Thompson, 1908-
- Pyburn, Nita Katherine
- Reports Subject Source: Local sources
- Rockwood, Charles Edward, 1932-
- Rogers, William Hudson, 1894-1975
- Sandels, Margaret Rector, 1888-1973
- Shores, Venila Lovina
- Speeches, addresses, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Angelo, Douglas, 1931-
- Standley, Fred L.
- Stern, Jerome (Jerome H.)
- Stevens, J. Richard (James Richard), 1915-
- Vanderhill, Burke Gordon, 1920-
- Veller, Don, 1912-2006
- Walker, Charles H.
- Wellborn, Charles
- Wilcoxon, Frank, 1892-1965
- Zachara, Franciszek
- Florida State University General Faculty Records
- Ginger H. Williams
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US