Loren E. Jackson manuscript
Scope and Contents
The Loren E. Jackson manuscript "Epilogue to a War Story" documents Lieutenant Colonel Loren E. Jackson's experience as a prisoner of war when he was shot down during D-Day from his B-17 that he piloted with the 385th Bomb Group during World War II. His manuscript details his encounter with the German Gerhard Graf von Schwerin who he met in the 1960s after not seeing him since he was interrogated by him. Jackson recounts the conversation he had with General and touches on multiple subjects, such as German memory of war, behaviors of the Germans, morale, and the surrendering of Germany.
- Created: 1944-1967
- Other: Majority of material found in 1944-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 05/31/2000
- Jackson, Loren E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Loren E. Jackson was born on October 28, 1916, in Bourbon, Missouri. He was inducted at Fort Bliss in Texas on March 11, 1942, as a member of the United States Army Air Force. He joined the 385th Bomb Group and began training as a B-17 pilot. On June 12, 1944, his plane was shot down, and he was captured by the Germans in Beauvais, France. On January 29, 1945, he was freed from Stalag Luft III. In July 1964, Jackson was still in the military and at the time was stationed in Wiesbaden and decided to see if he could find General Gerhard Graf von Schwerin. He was still in Germany and both men were able to meet and discuss the war and each other's lives. They stayed in touch and a few years later he attended a dinner party at von Schwerin's home. In 1969, Jackson retired from the military as a Lieutenant Colonel.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Loren E. Jackson
Method of Acquisition
- Air pilots, Military--United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Anti-Nazi movement--Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B-17 bomber Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Detloff, Gerhard, Graf von Schwerin, 1899-1980
- Fort Bliss (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maxwell Air Force Base (Ala.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Prisoners of war Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stalag Luft III
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 385th
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wiesbaden (Germany) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--France--Normandy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Loren E. Jackson manuscript
- Julianna Witt
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note