William P. Slusser Papers
Collection — Box: 157
Identifier: MSS 1986-013
Scope and Contents
Papers of William P. Slusser including receipts, payment orders, store accounts, a newspaper advertisement of public sale, and sales at auction on account.
- Created: 1859-1877
- Slusser, William P. 1825-1892 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
William P. Slusser (1825-1892) was born in Brookfield, Ohio. He came to Tallahassee, Florida in 1849; the 1850 Census lists him as a tinner. He first rented the former J. Martin Williams store on Monroe Street, agreeing to purchase it in March 1859. For more information on Slusser and his store see Clifton Paisley, "Tallahassee Through the Storebooks: War Clouds and War, 1860-1863," Florida Historical Quarterly 51 (July 1972): 37-51, and Clifton Paisley, "Tallahassee Through the Storebooks: Era of Radical Reconstruction, 1867-1877," Florida Historical Quarterly 53 (July 1974): 49-65.
10.00 items (1 folder)
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Given by Mrs. Evelyn Whitfield Henry.
Processed March 1986
- Ames & Lively
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Leon County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merchants--Florida. Subject Source: Local sources
- Slusser, William P. 1825-1892
- Tallahassee (Fla.)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- William P. Slusser Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note