Skip to main content

Mary Mendenhall Wood Collection

Identifier: MSS 2002-007

Scope and Contents

The collection of Mary Mendenhall Wood contains photographs, newspaper clippings about her uncle, John Gabriel Kellum, a series of resolutions honoring Kellum, and her aunt Florence Williamson's memorabilia. A brief biography of John Gabriel Kellum is filed with other typescripts. The collection also includes Florida State University publications such as Homecoming pamphlets in 1967 and 1969, the Flastacowo of 1915 and a Florida State College for Women 25th Anniversary Celebration picture album.


  • Created: 1901-1967
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1964-1967

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.

Biographical or Historical Information

Mary Lucy Mendenhall Wood (Mrs. T.H. Wood) is the only daughter of Lucy Conibear Mendenhall and Herbert Drummond Mendenhall. Lucy's sister, Ruth Conibear Kellum, was the wife of John Gabriel Kellum, who served as business manager of the Florida State College for Women (FSCW) from 1907 to 1945. Two aunts of Mary Lucy, Florence Conibear (later, Mrs. Grover Williamson) and Helen Conibear (later, Mrs. James Kutrow), attended FSCW and graduated in 1917 and 1919 respectively. Mr. John Gabriel Kellum was born on October 5, 1871 in Bradford County, Florida and died June 23, 1964. After attending Peabody Normal School and the University of Nashville, he taught school in various rural areas. His last teaching assignment was in Gainesville High School in 1905. In 1901, he was elected assistant chief clerk of the House of Representatives and head clerk in 1905. He was also selected as a secretary of the Board of Control in 1905. In 1907, at the request of the president of Florida State College for Women, Kellum became business manager. He was responsible for building most of the old FSCW campus, some of which is still part of Florida State University. In 1959, Kellum Hall, now used as a dormitory, was built in his honor. Kellum was also responsible for the landscaping and the planning of the campus. He was instrumental in starting the dairy farm, the laundry, the printing shop, the soda shop, the bookstore and post office. Mr. Kellum also served as president of the Southern Association of College and University Business Officers from 1936 to 1937. He was a charter member of the local Rotary Club and president in 1939-40. He was president of the local Chamber of Commerce in 1921, and was also a Mason and a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.

Note written by


1.00 boxes

Language of Materials



The Mary Mendenhall Wood Collection contains photos, publications, resolutions, memorabilia, typescripts and correspondence documenting the activities of Mrs. Mary Mendenhall Wood, Mrs. Florence Williamson and Mr. John G. Kellum.

Method of Acquisition

The Mary Mendenhall Wood Collection was donated to the Special Collections Department, Florida State University by Mrs. Mary Mendenhall Wood of Merion Station, Pennsylvania in February 2002.

Existence and Location of Originals

Portions of collection available online?: No

Mary Mendenhall Wood Collection
Hikaru Nakano
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US