Phillip Zimmerman collection
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to U.S. Navy Signalman 1st Class Phillip King Zimmerman who served aboard the U.S.S. Boston as a part of the first crew and the U.S.S. Baltimore heavy cruisers during World War II in the Pacific Theater. This collection includes two logbooks that Phillip Zimmerman maintained during his tour aboard the Boston , information relating to Zimmerman’s oral history, photographs from service, two of his hats, and ephemera.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2018-04-25
- Zimmerman, Phillip King, 1924-2012 (Owner, Family)
Language of Materials Note
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Phillip King Zimmerman was born in Dunedin, Florida on December 13, 1924, to Marie Morris Zimmerman and Porter Zimmerman and lived in Pinellas County most of his life. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1942 and served on several ships in the Pacific during WWII, most memorably the U.S.S. Boston.
By 1945 he promoted to Signalman First Class on Admiral Wiltse's staff. Zimmerman transferred to the U.S.S. Baltimore which became the flagship on January 25, 1945. He was involved in a number of engagements in the Pacific and witnessed the signing of the Japanese Instrument of Surrender on September 2, 1945.
When he returned home from the war he attended the University of Tampa, and within a few months met Grace Dana Harris. They married on September 1, 1946, and were married for sixty-six years. Zimmerman went into partnership with Dana's father in the lumber business. He later founded another company, Gas'n'Sav, from which he retired in 1982. As a young businessman, he developed an interest in state politics. He was active in several campaigns and was a member of Gov. Leroy Collins's Industrial Commission. He also served on the boards of several banks. Zimmerman believed strongly in education and helped a number of young people go to college. An avid golfer, he was a founder of the Cypress Run Golf Club in Tarpon Springs. He passed away on December 23, 2012.
Sources: Legacy.com. "Phillip King Zimmerman." Legacy.com. (accessed April 25, 2018). Navsource. "NavSource Online: Cruiser Photo Archive USS BOSTON (CA 69/CAG 1)." Navsource.org. (http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/069/04069.htm (accessed April 25, 2018).
1 Linear Feet (2 half boxes)
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Baltimore (Cruiser)
- Boston (Protected cruiser)
- Enewetak Atoll (Marshall Islands) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guam--History, Military Subject Source: Local sources
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kwajalein Atoll, Battle of, Marshall Islands, 1944 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Japan--Okinawa Island Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--New Guinea Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Phillip Zimmerman collection
- Sara Underwood
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note