James Patton Anderson Papers
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of 11 manuscripts by and pertaining to General James Patton Anderson, Monticello, Jefferson County, Florida, Anderson, dated 1862-1865. Includes documents pertaining to his appointments as Brigadier General and later Major General, documents pertaining to his pardon, and personal letters.
Includes two typwritten copies of "Sketch of General Anderson's Life" written by General James Patton Anderson while at his home in Monticello, Florida, recuperating from a wound he had received on the evening of the 31st of August, 1864, while in command of his division at the battle of Jonesboro, Georgia, during the Civil War. The first ten pages of the sketch are written by Anderson himself and the last page contains additional information added by Etta Adair Anderson, his wife, and Margaret Bybee Anderson, their daughter.
Individuals he associated with included Jefferson Davis (1853), Secretary of War in President Franklin Pierce's cabinet; Captain George B. McClellan; Governor Perry of Florida; General Braxton Bragg; President James Buchanan; Billy Wilson and his Zouaves at Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island. Famous battles he fought in were those at Chicamauga, Mission Ridge, Shiloh, and others.
Former accession numbers were MSS 0-3 and MSS 0-4. MSS 0-3, the parent collection, became MSS 1965-003.
- Created: 1862-1865
- Anderson, James Patton (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Florida Division United Daughters of the Confederacy
Existence and Location of Originals
Original letters and Sketch of General Anderson's Life are located in the James Patton Anderson Collection (MS 247) at the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida. https://findingaids.uflib.ufl.edu/repositories/2/resources/208/collection_organization
Processed February 1965.
- Benjamin, J. P. (Judah Philip), 1811-1884
- Bragg, Braxton, 1817-1876
- Buchanan, James, 1791-1868
- Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Local sources
- Confederate States of America
- Davis, Jefferson 1808-1889
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Jefferson County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- Monticello (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pardon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James Patton Anderson Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description