George Washington Parkhill Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection of 39 letters were written by Parkhill to his wife, Elizabeth (Bellamy) Parkhill, from various infantry camps and campsites from September 30, 1861 to June 25, 1862. The letters express his concern for the welfare of his little family, the best location for their safety should the fighting get too close, and his personal feelings toward his wife and babies. He also included his opinions about the war and some information about his company's activities.
Includes MSS 89-12.
- Created: 1861-1862
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
George Washington Parkhill, a prominent surgeon, physician and planter, master of Tuscawilla Plantation in Leon County, entered the Confederate service at the outbreak of the Civil War as a Captain of a company of the Second Florida Infantry. He died in the Battle of Gaines Mill, in the Seven Days Battles before Richmond.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Parkhill Mays.
Processed August 1983.
- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America. Army. Florida Infantry Regiment, 2nd
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Nottingham (England) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Parkhill, Elizabeth Bellamy
- Parkhill, George Washington, 1822-1862
- Soldiers--Florida. Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives, Confederate Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George Washington Parkhill Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description