Donald and Portia Ackerman collection
This collection relates to Donald and Portia Ackerman. Donald Ackerman served as a pilot on B-24 bombers with the 44th Bomb Squadron, 506th Bombardment Group, in the European Theater of Operations during World War II. He continued to serve in the U.S. Air Force for 20 years and served during the Korean War.This collection contains an oral history transcript, artifacts, audio tapes, documents, letters, maps, pamphlets, and photographs relating to Donald and Portia Ackerman.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2003-10-23
- Ackerman, Portia, 1921-2015 (Owner, Person)
- Ackerman, Donald, 1919-1991 (Owner, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Portia Ackerman was born in Omaha, NE on May 19, 1921. Donald Ackerman was born on August 10, 1919. Portia was salutatorian of her class at Lee High School in Jacksonville in 1939. She graduated from Florida State College for Women in 1943 and was an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta. Portia married Don Ackerman at the air force base chapel in Marianna, FL on November 6, 1943. She followed Donald while he was in training to fly B-24 bombers. After the War, the Ackermans lived in Japan and England raising their young children. Donald passed away on June 7, 1991. She was a past member of the Women of the Jacksonville Art Museum, a member of the Jacksonville Symphony, and was on the board of directors of the World War II Institute at Florida State University. Portia passed away on February 26, 2015.
1.5 Linear Feet
Donated by Portia Ackerman on 10/23/2003
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Bombers--United States--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State College for Women--Students Subject Source: Local sources
- Korean War, 1950-1953 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bomber Command, 8th Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ackerman, Portia, 1921-2015 (Donor, Person)
- Donald and Portia Ackerman collection
- Michael G. Kasper
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US