Vivian Hess collection
This collection relates to Vivian Hess who as a youth lived at Camp Gordon Johnston, Carabelle, FL during World War II. Her father served as the postmaster for the base, and she recollects many important details about growing up on a military base. This collection includes an oral history interview transcript and audio taped interview of Vivian Hess.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2019-07-10
- Hess, Vivian, 1933- (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access Note
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use Note
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Vivian Hess was born in 1933 in Tallahassee, FL. When she was eight years old, she moved with her family (mother and father) to Carrabelle, FL. Her father became the Postmaster at Camp Gordon Johnston. She remembered being excited about living on the beach, but she did not spend as much time there as she would have liked. She spent her time doing homework and interacting with soldiers and German POWs.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Camp Gordon Johnston (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.) Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Amphibious operations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, German Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vivian Hess collection
- Andrew Darlington, Sara Underwood
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description