Betty Lewis Harrison papers
This collection relates to Betty Lewis Harrison who was a student during World War II and attended Florida State College for Women. The collection consists of a veteran's questionnaire and a Red Cross pamphlet on how to knit men's socks in 1940. In her questionnaire, Harrison discusses her experiences attending the Florida State College for Women and living in the South during World War II. She also discusses riding to Carrabelle, Florida for a dance at camp Gordon Johnston. After graduating from Florida State College for Women, Harrison enlisted in the Army Nurses Corps but did not complete nursing school.
- 1941 - 1945
- Other: Date accessioned: 2002-02-28
- Harrison, Betty Lewis, 1923-2017 (Owner, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Betty Harrison was born in Tallahassee, FL on December 21, 1923. Attending the Florida State College for Women throughout the war years, Harrison discusses riding to Carrabelle, Florida for a dance at Camp Gordon Johnston. After graduating from Florida State College for Women, Harrison enlisted in the Army Nurses Corps but did not complete nursing school and got married to a former soldier. She passed away on May 15, 2017 and is buried in the Church of the Ascension in Carrabelle, FL.
1 folders (One folder in General Collection)
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Camp Gordon Johnston (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carrabelle (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Florida State College for Women--Students Subject Source: Local sources
- James D. Westcott Memorial Building (Tallahassee, Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jennie Murphree Hall (Tallahassee, Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Red Cross Society Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Betty Lewis Harrison papers
- Andrew Darlington
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description