Gretchen Marie F. and Leslie J. Vreeland collection
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Gretchen Marie F. and Leslie J. Vreeland who were civilian defense workers living in Hawaii from April 1944-July 1946 at Barber's Point Naval Air Station in Oahu. The collection includes documents, ephemera, artifacts, photographs, newspapers, and maps that document the Vreeland's time in Hawaii.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2001-09-05
- Other: Date acquired: 2001-08-21
- Vreeland, Gretchen Marie F., 1915-1998 (Creator, Person)
- Vreeland, Leslie J., 1912-1994 (Creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Gretchen Marie F. Vreeland was born in Chicago, Illinois, on October 31, 1915, and died October 17, 1998, in Lake Elsinore, CA. Leslie J. Vreeland was born in Chicago, Illinois, on June 6, 1912, and died October 25, 1994 in Sun City, CA. The two married in Chicago before entering moving to Hawaii during the war. The Vreelands living in Hawaii from April 1944-July 1946 at Barber's Point Naval Air Station in Oahu. Leslie J. Vreeland began working as a toolmaker and left as a snapper in the Supply Department. Gretchen Marie F. Vreeland was a classified laborer in Public Works. The two left Hawaii after the war. The couple had at least one child, Kathleen S. Outlaw, who donated the collection.
.75 Linear Feet (2 boxes) : 1/2 box contains papers related to Gretchen Marie F. and Leslie J. Vreeland's employment during the war. There are also papers related to their travels. Other papers and ephemera are included that came from a scrapbook created by Gretchen Marie F. Vreeland. Photocopies of the original scrapbook and memory book (photo book) of the Vreeland's' time in Hawaii as also included. 1/4 box contains souvenir photos collected by the Vreeland's and around 400 photographs of their time in Hawaii. The box also includes the Vreeland's official wedding portrait. The oversized folder contains four editions of a newspaper and a picture with text printed on the back. The map drawer contains 1 pamphlet that expands to maps of Oahu, Honolulu, and the islands of Hawaii. The map drawer also contains a pamphlet that unfolds into a ship blueprint.
2 items (2 fold-out tourist maps.)
1 folders (1 Oversize folder)
1 items (artifact)
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Capitulations, Military--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Hawaii Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan--Surrender Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Photography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Women--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gretchen Marie F. and Leslie J. Vreeland collection
- Mallory McGovern
- September 28, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note