Pasquale DiPierro collection
This collection relates to Electrician's Mate 1st Class Pasquale DiPierro who immigrated from Italy in 1920 and served with Company A, 5th Platoon, 118th Naval Construction Battalion, "Seabees" in the Pacific Theater during World War II on New Guinea and the Philippines. He was recalled during the Korean War and served again with the U.S. Navy in a construction battalion. The collection includes letters, military personnel documents, 118th Naval Construction Battalion newsletters, and objects.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2019-10-03
- DiPierro, Pasquale, 1904-1985 (Former owner, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Pasquale DiPierro was born in Italy on April 27, 1904 and immigrated to the United States on July 6, 1920. He lived in Naperville, IL and became a citizen on January 16, 1930. Before World War II, he worked as an Electrical Supervisor for the U.S. Army Air Corps Willow Run Airport, Detroit, MI. He entered service in the U.S. Navy on October 19, 1943 and received Construction Battalion training at the U.S. Naval Training Center at Camp Peary near Williamsburg, VA. On Feb. 25, 1944, the Battalion transferred to Gamadodo, Milne Bay, New Guinea and remained there on duty until March 1945, when 19 officers and 900 men departed for Mindanao, Philippine Islands and also served on Luzon. DiPierro was discharged on October 28, 1945. After the war, he worked as Chief Electrician at the Detroit Tank Arsenal for approximately 30 years.
1 Linear Feet (2 half boxes)
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collection donated by the daughter of Pasquale DiPierro, Catherine DiPierro.
- Detroit (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mindanao Island (Philippines) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Naval Construction Battalion Center (Port Hueneme, Calif.)
- United States. Navy. Seabees
- United States. Navy. Seabees--Recruiting, enlistment,etc Subject Source: Lcnaf
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines--Luzon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pasquale DiPierro collection
- Michael G. Kasper
- October 9, 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note