William Carrier papers
Scope and Contents
William Carrier served as an Assistant Turret Officer aboard the USS Nashville from 1944-46 in the Pacific Theater during World War II. During Carrier's time aboard the Nashville, General Douglas MacArthur was transported twice by the Nashville. At this time, Carrier was able to capture candid photographs of MacArthur. This collection contains those photographs as well as photographs of Pacific scenery and crew, along with handwritten notes by Carrier of battles in which the USS Nashville participated. A photograph book is also included that details the history, Combat, the Aleutians, Pacific coast and crew during the 1942-1945 cruise. Also included are two reunion books that contain the names, addresses, and status of those who served on the Nashville.
- Created: 1942-1998
- Other: Date acquired: 04/29/2008
- William Carrier (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
William Carrier born November 21, 1921, in Indianapolis, Indiana and attended 3 years of academic and military training at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. He was also a student at Purdue University before his time at Annapolis. Soon after his graduation, he participated in his first cruise with the USS Nashville from 1944-1946 in the Western Pacific.
During Carrier's 33 years of service, he rose through the ranks becoming an Assistant Turret Officer, Navy Test Pilot, Naval Aviator, Commanding Officer of Naval Air Station and Training Center. His father William Carrier, Sr. served on a battleship for two years during World War I.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
William Carrier Jr.
Method of Acquisition
- Aleutian Islands (Alaska) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MacArthur, Douglas, 1880-1964
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Test pilots--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- U.S.S. Nashville
- United States Naval Academy
- United States. Naval Aviation Corps
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--New Guinea Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Philippines Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--China--Shanghai Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Ocean--Naval operations, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Carrier papers
- Jessie Mrock
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note