Roy Lindsey collection
Scope and Contents
This is the collection of Roy Lindsey who served in World War II as part of the 81st Engineering Aviation Battalion in the European Theater. The collection contains postcards from America and Abroad and greeting cards. Letters between Roy Lindsey and his wife Irene, while Roy Lindsey was serving in the European Theatre are also included, along with photographs of Roy Lindsey during his time in the Army. Also included are letters between Roy Lindsey and his brother whom also served during World War II. There are telgrams, and an expired driver's license.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-03-31
- Lindsey, Roy, 1919-2005 (Former owner, Person)
Roy Lindsey was born on November 21, 1919 in Tennessee. Lindsey served with the 831st Engineer Aviation battalion from 1943-1949. While serving as part of the 831st Engineer Aviation Battalion, Lindsey was stationed in England and France. After the war, Lindsey retired from the USDA as a Soil Conservationist with 25 years of service. The collection specifically contains letters and postcards, sent to Lindsey from home and sent by Lindsey home, primarily to his wife, Irene. The collection also contains a small group of letters from Roy Lindsey to his brother, Crawford Lindsey. The collection also includes photographs of Lindsey and many comrades at military installations. The materials were once included in a scrapbook, but were removed and and stored in this collection. Lindsey passed away on May 30, 2005 in Knoxville, TN and is buried in Union Cumberland Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Farragut, TN
2 items : Objects contained as part of two boxes.
Language of Materials
Roy Lindsey arranged all these materials collected in 2 scrapbooks. His daughter donated the materials to the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience after his death.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Knoxville (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army--History--World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Engineering and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--England Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roy Lindsey collection
- Emily Voytecek
- April 29, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US