Frank E. Murray collection
Scope and Contents
The letters in the Frank E. Murray Collection categorize and depict the adolescent and enlisted experience of aspiring Navy pilots who trained in Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Naval Air Technical Training in Memphis, and flight training in Corpus Christi and Kingsville during the latter half of the Second World War. Brief descriptions of Boot Camp life in Jacksonville, Ground training and radio/radar ordinance in Memphis, and flying in Corpus Christi define the majority of Murray's experience before transferring to San Diego as the war was coming to a close. During Post-War rebuilding, as a part of the Civilian Air Patrol, he flew routine missions around the Pacific transporting personnel and cargo.
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-04-06
- Murray, Frank E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Frank E. Murray was from Columbus, Georgia, before joining the Naval Civilian Air Patrol ROTC program at the age of 16 in 1944. He remained in the U.S. Navy for two years, After discharge, he returned to Georgia. in hopes of aquiring a college education with his GI Bill.
1.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Murray E. Hutt
- Naval Air Technical Training Center (Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Naval Air Technical Training Center (Naval Air Station Memphis (Tenn.))
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Youth Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frank E. Murray collection
- Nathan Shields Lesser
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description