Florida State University Historical Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
The Florida State University Historical Photograph Collection is a large and diverse array of visual materials ranging from the late-19th to the 21st century. Formats represented include black and white and color photographic prints; 35mm, 120mm, and 4x5 acetate negatives; and other various kinds of small photographic ephemera including postcards, leaflets, and promotional materials. The bulk of this collection was produced by an official Florida State University entity or department with the express purpose of publication, dissemination, or otherwise public-facing service for the University.
The majority of photographs pertain to specific academic departments, student clubs and activities, athletics organizations, and faculty and staff. The collection mostly covers the 20th century, encompassing the formation and existence of Florida State College for Women (FSCW, 1905 - 1947) to the creation and growth of Florida State University (1947 – Present). There are also some materials related to West Florida Seminary (1884-1901) and Florida State College (1901-1905). Date ranges for specific folders have been provided where appropriate and applicable.
Select materials from the Florida State University Historical Photograph Collection have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- Majority of material found in 1910-1990
- Florida State University (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply to works in this collection. Re-use or copying beyond Fair Use may require permission from the rights-holder. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Language of Materials
This collection is organized into five series: General Subjects, Buildings, Faculty, Presidents, and Negatives. The Negatives series has been separated based on format and housing concerns. The remaining four series contain photographic prints and other visual ephemera. Some series have been sub-divided based on the subject-matter.
Date accessioned: 2016/01/21
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Aerial photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms
- Buildings and Grounds Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Class reunions Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cotillions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diamond, Ruby, 1886-1982
- Flastacowo Yearbook Staff Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida Female College
- Florida State College
- Florida State College for Women--Sports
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Florida State University--Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University. Alumni Association
- Marching Chiefs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Montgomery, Katherine W. (Katherine Williams), 1894-1958
- Murphree, Albert Alexander, 1870-1927
- Owen, Ruth Bryan, 1885-1954
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sports for women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student clubs and organizations Subject Source: Local sources
- Students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tarpon Club
- West Florida Seminary (Tallahassee, Fla.)
- Yearbook photograph Subject Source: Local sources
- Billy Glasco, Ben Yadon, David Rodriguez, Jeffrey Henley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US