Jason M. Austin collection
This collection contains letters, documents, poetry, and photographs related to the military service of Jason M. Austin who served with the U.S. Marine Corps in World War II in the Pacific Campaign and the Korean War. The collection includes documentation regarding the overseas service of Austin with the African American Marines who were part of the First and Fourth Marine Depot based in the Russell Islands.
- Other: Date accessioned: 1999-12-01
- Austin, Jason M., 1915-1996 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Jason M. Austin was born on November 20, 1915. Enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve prior to World War II, Austin attended Platoon Leaders Class at Quantico, Virginia in 1936 and 1938 before receiving a commission on September 20, 1938. Ordered to active duty on December 15, 1940, Austin served as an instructor at Basic School at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Deployed to several bases before transferred overseas, Jones served with the Fourth Base Depot in the Russell Islands. He was reassigned to the Seventh Field Depot and took part in the battles of Saipan and Okinawa. Remaining in the Reserves after 1945, Austin was recalled to active-duty for the Korean War from August 1950 until June 1952. Austin passed away on December 13, 1996 and was buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, Delaware, Ohio.
.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Korean War, 1950-1953 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peleliu, Battle of, Palau, 1944 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philadelphia Naval Shipyard (Philadelphia, Pa.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Russell Islands (Solomon Islands) Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--Armed Forces--African Americans--History--20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Marine Corps--African Americans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Marine Corps--History--20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945--African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Japan--Okinawa Island Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jason M. Austin collection
- G. Kurt Piehler
- August 9, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US