Samuel L. Bray Collection
This collection relates to Samuel L. Bray and his service in the U.S. Army. Samuel L. Bray served in the Army before, during, and after World War II. During World War II, then Lieutenant Samuel L. Bray served in Europe with the Signal Corps, fighting at the Battle of Metz in the United States Third Army. While in Europe, Samuel L. Bray served in France and Germany, then moving to Japan during the United States occupation post World War II. This collection contains photographs, post cards, documents, and artifacts relating to the life, service, and death of Samuel L. Bray.
- Event: 1941-1993
- Event: Majority of material found within 1941-1946
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-09-16
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Samuel L. Bray was born on November 26, 1913 in Montgomery, Alabama. He was called to active duty on September 12, 1942, and served in Europe throughout World War II. He fought at Normandy, Metz and Northern France, as well as Germany and Central Europe. After World War II, he served in the United States Occupation of Japan, and was in the Army Reserves until his official retirement. Samual L. Bray passed away on August 3, 1993 in Manatee, FL. He is buried along with his wife Exa in Westview Cemetery, Atlanta, GA.
5 Linear Feet (3 whole boxes, 4 half boxes)
1 folders (OS Folder )
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Bronze Star Medal (U.S.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Metz, Battle of, Metz, France, 1944 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stars and stripes Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Europe -- Maps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Europe Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bray, Samuel L. , 1913-1993 (Person)
- Samuel L. Bray collection
- Sheighlin McKay Hagerty
- September 16, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Container: 19.0027 - Box 6 (Moving Images)
- oversize: 19.0027- Folder 001 (Maps)
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US