President A.A. Murphree Letterpress Books and Correspondence
Scope and Contents
This collection contains President Albert Alexander Murphree's official presidential correspondence as well as his personal correspondence. It includes letters concerning his work as editor and publisher of the Florida School Exponent, the only teacher's journal in Florida, which began publication in 1894.
- Created: 1902-1908
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Dr. Albert Alexander Murphree was the president of the Seminary West of the Suwannee when it became Florida State College in 1901. He continued after the school became Florida Female College in 1905. The name was unpopular, and was changed to Florida State College for Women in 1909. Dr. Murphree left the college that same year to go to the University of Florida.
Language of Materials
- College presidents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida Female College
- Florida State College
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University--Presidents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Murphree, Albert Alexander, 1870-1927
- West Florida Seminary (Tallahassee, Fla.)
- President A.A. Murphree Letterpress Books and Correspondence
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note