Bernice Vaughn collection
This collection relates to Bernice Vaughn who served in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps during World War II. This collection contains an oral history transcript where Vaughn describes her assignment to Fort Benning, Georgia, her service in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, and an episode of racism she experienced while serving. This collection also includes Bernice Vaughn's Army discharge certificate and family photographs.
- Event: 1939-1945
- May 12, 2004
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical / Historical
Bernice Vaughn was born on April 4, 1918 in Dothan, Alabama. Raised in Abbeville, Alabama, Bernice grew up in the segregated south with her mother, sister, and step-father. Bernice joined the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps after the attack on Pearl Harbor and experienced instances of racism and discrimination while serving at Fort Benning, Georgia during the war. Bernice Vaughn left the United States Army after the war and raised four children while also being an Army spouse. Bernice passed away on January 25, 2013, in Warren, Ohio and is buried in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania.
1 folders (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- African American women--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fort Benning (Ga.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--Armed Forces--Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army--History--World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps
- World War, 1939-1945--African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bernice Vaughn collection
- Darren Johnson
- April 13, 2021
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note