E. Thomas and Margaret Fitzell Tifft Gilliard collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes letters, personal papers, manuscripts, books, maps, and artifacts from E. Thomas and Margaret Fitzell Tifft Gilliard. The letters are from before, during, and after World War II between friends and family of Thomas and Margaret. The bulk of the letters include correspondence with Therese "Teddy" "Butchi" Waelchli, Thomas's aunt. The personal papers are official military documents, non-military documents, and notes. There are family photographs, photographs taken while Thomas served with the 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, in the Pacific Campaign, and photographs from the many scientific expeditions they took.
- Creation: 1919-1991
- Other: Date acquired: 06/08/2017
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-05-12
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished works by Thomas and/or Margaret Gilliard are In Copyright - FSU. For permission to re-use these works beyond Fair Use, contact Special Collections & Archives staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright restrictions may apply to other works in this collection. Re-use or copying beyond Fair Use may require permission from rights-holders. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
E. (Ernest) Thomas Gilliard served in the U.S. Army from 1941-1945. He trained at Camp Van Dorn in Mississippi with the 63rd Infantry Regiment and at Camp Beale in California before he was sent to serve in New Guinea and the Philippines. Before, during, and after the war, his career was as an ornithologist, naturalist, and anthropologist, working at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. He conducted research on the indigenous peoples, birds, and plants in New Guinea and the Philippines. Before the war, he attended Deep Springs School in California and The Park School. Gilliard organized and conducted research expeditions to Venezuela, the Amazon Rain Forest, and Brazil. His wife, Margaret Fitzell Tifft Gilliard, also conducted research with her husband after the war. Both have multiple publications written by and about their research.
Margaret Tifft Gilliard Person died September 10, 2008 at the age of 91 in North Bend, Oregon.
Sources and Further Reading:
"Ernest Thomas Gilliard." Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Thomas_Gilliard.
"Margaret Person Obituary." https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/margaret-person-obituary?id=49632541
6 Linear Feet
6 items (6 books)
6 items (6 maps)
1 items (1 oversized book)
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Suzanne Gilliard Porter. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on June 8, 2017.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Revised 8/21/2017. Entered 8/18/2017.
- American Museum of Natural History (Organization)
- University of Santo Tomás (Organization)
- United States. Army. Division, 38th (Organization)
- United States Armed Forces Institute (Organization)
- United States. Army. Infantry, 63rd (Organization)
- United States. Army--Campaigns--Pacific Area (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Angel Falls (Venezuela)
- Bataan (Philippines : Province)
- Camp Beale (Calif.)
- Camp Van Dorn (Miss.)
- Guyana--History--20th century.
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Pocono Pines (Pa.)
- Australia--History--20th Century
- New Deal, 1933-1939
- Papua New Guinea--History--20th Century
- Puerto Rico--History--20th Century
- Thailand--History--20th Century
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Japan--Okinawa Island
- World War, 1939-1945--Philippines
- E. Thomas and Margaret Fitzell Tifft Gilliard collection
- Mallory McGovern
- May 10, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 1 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 2 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 3 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 4 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 5 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 6 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 7 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007- Box 8 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 9 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 10 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 11 (Text)
- Container: 17.0007 - Box 12 (Text)
- Object: 17.0007 - Books (Text)
- Container: WWII General Collections: Oversize Box 10, Folder: 17.0007 (Books)