Thomas C. Cartwright papers
Scope and Contents
Thomas C. Cartwright served as the pilot of the B-24 bomber, Lonesome Lady, in the 494th Bombardment Group, 7th Air Force. His plane was shot down over Japan at the end of July 1945. Cartwright and one other member of the bomber crew were transported elsewhere, while the majority of the crew was interred in prison in Hiroshima, Japan. All those crewmen were killed when the US dropped the atomic bomb on that city.
The collection contains correspondence, articles, and testimonies related to the bombing of Hiroshima and discovering the fate of Cartwright's bomber crew.
- created: 1945-2014
- Other: Majority of material found in 1995-2004
- Other: Date acquired: 05/20/2014
- Cartwright, T. C. (Thomas Campbell) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Thomas C. Cartwright was born in York, South Carolina on March 8, 1924. Cartwright was the pilot of the Lonesome Lady, a B-24 bomber, in the 494th Bombardment Group, 7th Air Group. He was shot down over Japan in July 1945. After the war, he served a professor of genetics at Texas A and M University until his retirement in 1994. Cartwright authored 100 technical articles and a book on an ecological approach to livestock production. In his later life, he also published a work on his wartime experiences titled A Date with the Lonesome Lady: A Hiroshima POW Returns. He passed away on January 11, 2015, in Pack Creek Ranch near Moab, Utah.
Link to Thomas C. Cartwright cemetery and obituary information: [url=https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141219277/thomas-campbell-cartwright]https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141219277/thomas-campbell-cartwright[/url]
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Thomas C. Cartwright
Method of Acquisition
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H). 494th (Organization)
- 494th Bombardment Group (H) Association (Organization)
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force. 7th (Organization)
- Atomic bomb--History--20th century
- Atomic bomb--Japan--History--20th century
- B-24 (Bomber)
- Ex-prisoners of war--United States--Biography
- Hiroshima-shi (Japan)--History--Bombardment, 1945
- Prisoners of war
- Prisoners of war--Asia
- Prisoners of war--Japan
- Prisoners of war--United States--History--20th century
- Thomas C. Cartwright papers
- Allyson Gates
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description