Hilliard C. Smathers papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains six Aviator's Flight Log Books from Captain Hilliard C. Smathers' time as a pilot with the U.S. Navy, from 1930-1951. Also included is the flag that flew in Smathers' honor over the United States Capitol in Washington D.C. and two certificates confirming this occasion. The US Naval Aviator certificate contains a picture of Smathers, as well as the date on which he was officially certified as a Naval Aviator - March 21, 1942 - and three instrument rating cards.
- Created: 1930-1986
- Other: Majority of material found in 1930 - 1950
- Other: Date acquired: 11/27/1997
- Smathers, Hilliard C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Hilliard C. Smathers was born in North Carolina on June 27, 1908, as listed on his Naval Aviators' certificate. Smathers served for over twenty years in the US Navy, joining twelve years before the United States entered World War II, and he remained for at least six years after. Smathers saw action as a pilot during the Battle of Midway; his plane ran out of gasoline and was forced to land, waiting three days for rescue. Hilliard Smathers lived in Marianna, Florida before enlisting. After the war, he ultimately ended up living in Washington state. He passed away in Oak Island, Washington in 1986.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Air pilots, Military--United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Midway, Battle of, 1942 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- North Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy
- United States. Navy--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hilliard C. Smathers papers
- Kristina Hopf
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note