Kenneth F. Cameron papers
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Kenneth F. Cameron of Portland, Maine who provided a telephone interview on February 8, 2001, concerning his experiences in the U.S. Navy during World War II. The collection contains an oral history interview transcript.
The transcript consists of an 8-page oral history interview. In the interview he discusses working in a shipyard, joining the Seabees, and the places he served in the Pacific. He talks about building for the war relief program, and Bundles for Britain. Some other topics Cameron discusses are working on LSTs while under fire from the Japanese, the climate in the South Pacific, catching malaria, weight loss, and returning home to a war bride.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1943-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 02/14/2008
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-06-09
- Cameron, Kenneth F. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Kenneth F. Cameron was born on September 1, 1922, in Portland, Maine. He worked for a shipyard at the start of World War II, then joined the Seabees in 1943. He served on a ship in the Pacific Theater for the duration. He served on the USS Tutuila, ARG-4. The ship visited Eniwetok, Leyte in the Philippines, Seoul, Korea, China, the Solomon Islands, and Ulithi. Cameron passed away on May 1, 2005.
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Kenneth F. Cameron. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on February 14, 2008.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Bundles for Britain, Inc.
- Enewetak Atoll Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Leyte (Philippines) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Malaria Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Malaria--Philippines Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Navy. Construction Battalion
- United States. Navy. Seabees
- Weather Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Ocean--Naval operations, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kenneth F. Cameron papers
- Allyson Gates
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description