Kenneth D. Kelly papers
Scope and Contents
Kenneth D. Kelly served in the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during World War II on New Caledonia, the Admiralty Islands, and on Okinawa. Included in his collection are a number of news articles related to the Seabees, his typed memoir, and a copy of the unit's battalion log.
- Created: 1943-1999
- Other: Majority of material found in 1943-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 06/13/2000
- Kelly, Kenneth D. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Kenneth Dorr Kelly was born in Coopersville, Michigan on August 21, 1925. He joined the U.S. Navy just before his twenty-first birthday and served in the Seabees, the Navy's Construction Battalion, until his discharge in 1946. While with the Seabees, Kelly served in New Caledonia, the Admiralty Islands, and on Okinawa. At the time of this collection's donation, Kelly was serving as the co-president of the 78th Seabee WWII Association. Kelly served from August 1, 1943 - March 15, 1946. He worked as a Carpenter's mate, a builder, and heavy equipment operator.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Kenneth D. Kelly
Method of Acquisition
- Admiralty Islands (Papua New Guinea) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- New Caledonia Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Navy
- United States. Navy. Construction Battalion, 78th
- United States. Navy. Seabees
- United States. Navy. Seabees--Handbooks, manuals, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy. Seabees--Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Japan--Okinawa Island Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kenneth D. Kelly papers
- Allyson Gates
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note