Evelyn King papers
Scope and Contents
This collection pertains to Evelyn King who served as a U.S.O. hostess during World War II. The collection contains letters, postcards, V-mail, and greeting cards. The collection also contains newspaper and magazine clippings, various booklets and pamphlets, numerous lifestyle magazines, Navy and Army uniform buttons, and prints.
- Created: 1908-2014
- Other: Date acquired: 05/06/2014
- King, Evelyn, 1922- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Evelyn King was born on November 22, 1922, to parents Angelos and Mae Ladakis. Her father was a corporal in World War I and was an officer in the American Legion Department of Ohio during World War II. During the war, King and her family lived in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. When she was nineteen, she worked as U.S.O hostess along with her mother and sister Mary. The three of them would take the bus to Arkon, Ohio, where they would entertain the troops.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Cuyahoga Falls (Ohio) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Formulas, recipes, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rationing--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- U.S.O. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Evelyn King papers
- Zoe Hume
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note