John W. Rockwood papers
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to John W. Rockwood who served with the U.S. Navy during the Second World War in the 145th Construction Battalion Seabees. He served in the Solomon Islands and Okinawa.
This collection contains ten letters from Rockwood to his cousin, Jane Brunkow, and her father in Pelham Manor, New York and a photograph of Rockwood with his children during a duck hunt in 1950. His letters reference his time in the Solomon Islands. He mentions sending mementos, such as a whiskey shot glass and bracelet made from Japanese planes and shells, some crafts from the local natives, as well as some dirt from his foxhole. He also spends some time describing the environment of the South Pacific.
- Created: 1944-1950
- Other: Majority of material found in 1944-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 06/01/1999
- Rockwood, John W. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John W. Rockwood was born in Terre Haute, Indiana on December 12, 1908. He served in a Naval Construction Battalion during the Second World War in the Solomon Islands and Okinawa at the rank of Lieutenant Commander. His date of death is unknown.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Okinawa Island (Japan) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Terre Haute (Ind.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy. Construction Battalion
- United States. Navy. Construction Battalion, 145th
- United States. Navy. Seabees
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Japan--Okinawa Island Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Solomon Islands Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John W. Rockwood papers
- Allyson Gates
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note