Tallahassee merchants account books, 1843-1863
Identifier: 01-MSS 0-238
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of merchant account books and merchant inventory books from Tallahassee, Florida, dating 1843-1863. Several books list James M. Williams of Tallahassee, including his "cotton book," showing purchaser, seller, number of bales, shape, where bought, weights, prices, amount paid, expenses, commission, shipping marks and numbers, names of vessels and destination of vessels on which shipments were made. A newspaper clipping is glued to one of the blank pages at the front of this book. Another book is listed as William P. Slusser's account book.
- Created: 1843-1863
- Other: Date acquired: 09/29/1970
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Groom
Processed October 1970.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business enterprises--Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Merchants--Florida. Subject Source: Local sources
- Tallahassee merchants account books, 1843-1863
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description