Tallahassee Literary Club Records
Scope and Contents
Papers include programs of the Tallahassee Literary Club, a typed study of these programs, the constitution and by-laws of the club, minutes of meetings, book reviews, correspondence, and historical papers dealing with the founding and organization of the club.
- Created: 1899-2014
- Other: Date acquired: 03/10/1989
- Tallahassee Literary Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection has access restrictions. Note on original container: "This gift has been left with the Library with the understanding that no one may borrow any of it, even members of the Tallahassee Literary Club, without permission of the president or some other officer of the club. This officer will take full responsibility for the return of any material borrowed. The Library does not take this responsibility." Signed, Louise Richardson.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Tallahassee Literary Club was organized at meetings at the home of Mrs. W. L. Moor on September 8, 1899 and November 14, 1899. The object of the organization was and still is "to acquire knowledge of Art, Literature, and Science, as well as facility and expression of Ideas." Programs consist of book reviews or other literary works and some music. Each member is assigned reviews to prepare, usually of her own choosing, and these are given close attention by the Club members. Membership has been limited to 25 with dues of one dollar per year. Ladies are invited to membership by member recommendation as vacancies occur. History compiled June, 1990 by Mrs. Robert Brooks.
5.70 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
Additonal materials are donated periodically by the Tallahassee Literary Club.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection online?: No
The Tallahassee Literary Club Records were processed by Special Collections staff members.
- Clubs--Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee Literary Club
- Women--Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee Literary Club Records
- Burt Altman, Anna McCormick
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note