Cecil Blumenstein transcript
Scope and Contents
Cecil Blumenstein (served 1943-1945) discusses his experiences in the 13th Armored Division in Germany in the winter and spring of 1945. Blumenstein was captured and spent a brief period of time in a POW camp before being liberated and sent back to the front. He fought in several engagements. This collection consists of an interview transcript.
- Created: 1925-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 03/13/2001
- Blumenstein, Cecil, 1925-2015 (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Cecil Blumenstein was born on September 8, 1925, and served as a Corporal in the U.S. Army during World War II. Cecil resided in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania before enlisting on November 13, 1943. At the time of enlistment, Cecil was 18 years old, had 3 years of high school education and was single, without dependents. Two years later, Cecil was captured by the Germans. Cecil's capture was first reported to the International Committee of the Red Cross on April 12, 1945, and the last report was made on October 11, 1945. Based on these two reports, Cecil was imprisoned for at least 182 days. and then returned to military control, liberated or repatriated. He passed away on September 23, 2015.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Transcript of interview.
- Ex-prisoners of war--United States--Biography Subject Source: Local sources
- Jewish soldiers--United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Prisoners of war--Europe--Interviews Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Army. Armored Division, 13th Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Western Front Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, German Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cecil Blumenstein transcript
- Dustin Whittington
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note